My two passions i.e baking and gardening were inherited from my parents. I am trying to master the art of baking! The first plant I ever planted was a lemon plant. I have nurtured it, loved it and it has now grown into a large tree that bears fruit and looks beautifully yellow and green when in full bloom.
Seasonal fruits and veggies give you the healthiest nutrients to stay fit during the changing seasons. Lemons are Vitamin C powerhouses, combat flu and are great for digestion. With Lemons in abundance during the season, I experimented baking various dishes with lemon citrus. My favorite is Lemon Cake.
Lemon cake makes an amazing tea time snack, tangy and yummy that should be enjoyed with a warm cup of cinnamon tea near the fireplace. (What a perfect setting created by me)
- Unsalted butter - 1 cup
- Plain flour - 1 ¾ cups
- Sugar powdered - 1 ¼ cups
- Eggs - 5
- Baking powder - ½ tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
- Vanilla or lemon essence - 1tsp
- Sour cream - ¼ cup*
- Lemon zest (rind)- 1 tbsp**
- Salt - 2 pinch
- Sugar - ¼ cup
- Lemon juice - ¼ cup
- Icing sugar - ½ cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp.
- Yellow color - as desired
1. Preheat oven on 180 'C.2. Grease and line a 9’ big loaf pan with butter paper.2. Mix flour and baking powder. Sift them 3-4 times then add salt and put aside.3. Take unsalted butter at room temperature and cut it in cubes, beat it for 3 mins so it becomes creamy, add sugar and beat more.The sugar and cream mixture should be smooth and creamy. Beat for 3 more minutes.4. Add eggs one by one, before adding the next one make sure that the egg has been fully incorporated.5. Add essence and lemon juice and beat.6. Add dry ingredients and sour cream in a 3-1 ratio at slow speed and beat till all the mixture is homogeneous. Add the zest and fold with a spatula. If you want to add yellow color add 2-3 drops.7. Pour the batter into a greased pan and tap the pan to remove excess air bubbles.8. Bake on the center rack for 45 minutes or till a skewer comes out clean.Lemon Syrup:
- When the cake is half-baked, make the lemon syrup by cooking sugar and lemon juice.
- When you take out the cake fully cooked, pour the syrup on top of the cake. The cake will stay moist and absorb the syrup.
- After a while take out the cake from the pan.
- After taking out the cake in the serving dish, make the glaze.
- Mix icing sugar and lemon very well so it becomes smooth and pourable.
- Add drops of water till it's in pourable consistency.
- Pour it on the cake. You can use lemon wedges and mint leaves to decorate.
* Add 1 tsp lemon juice in 1/4 cup cream and leave for 15 minutes before use.** Use a regular peeler or knife and peel the top skin of lemon leaving the whiter part under it as it's very bitter and cut the peels into smaller pieces