“You should spend more time doing what you love”. I don’t know who said this but it really helps me to invest my time into what I am passionate about. I love baking! Thus whenever I spot a yummy, easy-to-bake recipe, I go for it, making a few changes according to my taste buds.
Recently, I spotted Rose Rolls recipe at my favorite Cooking recipes App named Fauzia’s Kitchen Fun, I couldn’t help myself but try it with a few alterations of my own.
So before yap some more, let’s just jump on to the recipe which is easy to bake and adorable at sight!
Chicken Fajita filling:
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 2 tbsp powdered milk
- 1 egg white (yolk will also be used in this recipe)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- Warm water to knead
Garnishing and presentation:
- 1tbsp oil
- Half onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- ½ kg boneless chicken diced into small pieces
- 1 capsicum
- 2 tbsp sweet corns
- 1 carrot grated finely
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- Onion seeds OR sesame seeds
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
- Oil as required
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Knead the dough, mix all ingredients in a bowl, knead with warm water and brush a little oil over it and leave to rise for approximately one hour. (I use the same dough to make Pizza, minus the egg white)
Meanwhile, prepare the filling (you can make these with any filling you want i.e creamy chicken filling, spicy chicken or any veggie mix) I am making Chicken Fajita filling, minus the tomatoes. Tomatoes will make our rose rolls soggy and impossible to store for a longer period.
The filling is ready!
- Saute finely chopped onion in a pan over low flame, until it softens
- Add chopped garlic cloves and simmer
- Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until the water dries
- Add seasonings and saute
- Add the veggies and cook for 5 minutes until all done
- Add Soya Sauce.
- Check if the chicken chunks are tender and soft.
- Remove the pan from the flame and lightly mash it with the back of the wooden spoon.
- Adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
Making the rose rolls.
- Check for the dough, it should be double the actual size, if yes, then it's ready.
- Knead it again to kill its swellings :p
- Make small sections out of it, with this quantity, you can make approximately 16-18 balls of dough.
- Now comes the tricky, yet the best part
- Step 1: Roll the dough balls into about 4-5 inches (diameter) circles
- Step 2: Make 4 diagonal cuts on it, leave a little space to place the filling in the center.
- Step 3: Brush oil on the rolled dough.
- Step 4: Place 1-2 tbsp of filling in the center.
- Step 5: Pick one flap of the cut and wrap around the filling, do turn the edges outwards.
- Now do the same with the opposite flap.
- Wrap the rest of the two dough flaps. Carefully check if all the wraps are tucked in properly.
- Step 6: Mix egg yolk and milk well, brush the rose roll with this mixture and sprinkle your choice of garnish; I chose onion seeds.
- Repeat all these steps with each ball, until all rose rolls are ready, leave them to rise for 10 minutes and bake until the top is light brown for approximately 30-35 minutes.