This recipe was originally created by my father. I modified it later by experimentation. My father loves to visit grocery stores in his quest to find new and unique ingredients and then pushes me to experiment with them. Needless to say, I truly love and enjoy experimenting. Once he happened to bring tomatoes tortilla wraps and challenged me to make a grilled wrap with it. It was the time when subway had just launched their new Panini grill sandwich and those were his favorite. It is always exciting for me to cook without a recipe or sometimes I try to re-create a recipe with a twist of ingredients.
Chicken wraps are a full meal-on-the-go for lunch boxes for school or office. The good things about wraps are that they taste equally good when cold. I have stored these two sauces in an air tight bottle in my fridge and always keep marinated chicken readily available. It makes my life easier as it takes only ten minutes to make the wraps.
For making the wrap, use a decent amount of chicken; make the tortilla base with chili mayo sauce, filled with some crunchy iceberg lettuce, caramelized onion and cheddar cheese. Top it all with creamy honey mustard sauce. Wrap it up, grill it for one minute on a hot grill to have those trademark grill marks and serve with traditional cheesy baked potatoes. Potatoes act as appetizers and are full of flavors and color.
Tortilla Wraps – 4 (plain or tomato flavor – I have used tomato flavored)Crispy Chicken Fillets
Chili Mayo Sauce
- Chicken – 8 boneless chicken bread fillets, cut them into half
- Salt- ¾ teaspoon
- Paprika- ¾ teaspoon
- Sugar- 1 teaspoon
- Chili Garlic Sauce- 2 tablespoon
- Worcestershire sauce- 2 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice- 1 teaspoon
- Egg - 1
- Flour & Bread Crumbs – for coating the chicken fillets
Honey Mustard Sauce
- Thousand Island dressing – 2 tablespoon
- Mayonnaise – 2 tablespoon
- Chili Garlic Sauce – 3 tablespoon
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt – 2 tablespoon
- Lemon juice- 1 teaspoon
- Salt – a pinch
Cheesy Baked Potatoes
- Onions – 1 large, finely diced
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Butter -2 tablespoon
- Potatoes – 2
- Cheddar & Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Paprika – ½ teaspoon
- Butter - 1 teaspoon
- Thyme and Oregano – ½ teaspoon
Instructions: Crispy Chicken Filet
Chili Mayo Sauce
- In a bowl, mix salt, paprika, sugar, chili garlic sauce, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce and marinate the chicken in it. Let it rest for an hour in marinate.
- Apply flour on the chicken fillets, dust off excessive flour. Dip the fillets in a beaten egg and coat it fillets with bread crumbs. Repeat the process once again and shallow fry them till golden brown on both sides. On average, a chicken fillet takes 2 – 3 minutes on each sides to cook till perfection.
Honey Mustard Sauce
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, give it a good whiz and chili mayo dressing sauce is ready.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients and a sweet creamy dressing is ready
Wraps Assembly Line
- In a skillet, melt the butter and add finely sliced onion rings. Sprinkle sugar on the top. Sugar will melt and start caramelized the onions. Onions will take on average 10 minutes time to get a good caramelized texture.
Useful TipIf not eating the right way, use foil to wrap them up. Heat in an 180 C oven for 10 minutes or until heated if you don’t want to eat a cold one.Cheesy Baked Potatoes
- On a flat pan (tawa), heat the tortilla wraps for a minute on each side.
- Spread chili mayo sauce on the base of tortilla, on the lower center place chicken fillets (nicely cut into strips), iceberg lettuce, caramelized onions, and cheddar cheese. Top it up with honey mustard dressing. Fold and roll up the wrap tightly.
- Repeat with another wrap. Place them on a griller for a minute to have those beautiful grill marks on the top. Cut in half and serve with cheesy baked potatoes.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly with water and slice them half, lengthwise. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- In a bowl place the potatoes and rub butter, oil, salt, thyme and oregano on them.
- Put the potatoes in the baking dish and bake them for 40 – 50 minutes or until they are soft and completely cooked.
- Once they are cooked, sprinkle the grated cheese on the top and bake them again in the oven till cheese is melted and golden from the top. Sprinkle some paprika on top. Yummy Potatoes are ready.