Inspired by Vietnamese cuisine and their huge variety of spring rolls, Thai spring rolls brings a Thai taste to this appetizer. These rolls have a zesty-corrianderish flavor. For the first time in my life, my palate experienced how great coriander stalks can taste. Yes, the same stalks we conveniently throw away at our home for Pakistani dishes!
Another unique element in taste is the wrap which is made of rice paper.Rice sheets are available in super markets. Had a hard time finding them in Islamabad.
In Thai this dish is known as Bo Bia Tort. I made them this ramadan on friends Aftari. It was awarded the best dish on the menu.
- 250g Minced Chicken (you can chop away the boneless pieces in a chopper)
- 1 tbsp lemon rind
- 2 coriander bunches
- 1 tbsp Ginger (finely diced)
- 200-300 g beans sprout (Available in cans)
- 1/2 carrot (thinly sliced)
- 1 Red Capsicum -thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tsp salt – i like to substitute it with Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour (mixed in 2-3 tbsp water)
- 10-12 sheets of Rice Paper
- 2 tbsp butter
- Separate the coriander leaves from stalks. Chop both the stalks and the leaves separately.
- In a pan, melt butter and add chicken, ginger, lemon rind and coriander stalks. Cook till chicken is thoroughly cooked
- Now add all the vegetables and fish sauce. Fry till carrots become a little soft.
- Add corn flour to the mixture above and cook till it thickens
- Take a wide mouth bowl with tap water in it. Take one rice sheet and dip it in the water till it softens. Don’t dip for too long or the sheet can tear (Its ok to loose a sheet or two when you are starting off)
- Now place the softened rice sheet on a flat plate. Add one tablespoon of mixture in the middle of the sheet; leaving 1 inch space on top and bottom. Sprinkle coriander leaves on top of the mixture.
- Now roll the top and bottom part of sheet onto the mixture first then start to roll starting from one end of the sheet.
- The sheet will stick and ensure the stuffing doesn’t spill form the roll.
- Deep-fry the rolls till golden brown in medium hot oil. Make sure the rolls don’t come in contact while frying as they can stick to each other.
- Serve with Sweet Chili Sauce