Usually people think that fish can only be fried or can be eaten in the more extravagant western style dishes. Yet, this dish will change your perception because this recipe is about eating fish with gourd in a desi style salan (gravy). My mother learnt this dish from her my grand mother and now we make this from generation to generation to impress our in-laws:). I am sharing my family recipe with you in hopes that you will like it as much as I do.
- Dhambra fish: 1/2 kg( four pieces)
- Onion chopped :2
- Garlic Ginger paste: 1 tbsp
- Tomatoes paste of 4
- Tinday (gourd): 4 small
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder: 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
- Haldi: 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1/2tbsp
- Black Cardamom:2
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Cinamon: 2 sticks
- Bay Leaf:1 leaf
- Fresh coriander:half bunch
- Green chillies: 4
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add cardamom, cinnamon, and chopped onions
- Fry the onions till they are golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and tomato paste
- Add the whole spices ad cook for about 5-8 minutes.
- Now add a few drops of water and the fish and stir very carefully.
- Add 2 glasses of water and the gourd
- Cover this for about 10-15 minutes and wait for the water to dry.
- When the water has dried. you can dish it out and garnish with fresh coriander.