Matar Paneer is one of the most famous in Kashmiri Cuisine. For someone like me, with slow adapting taste buds, it took a little while to develop the taste for eating cooked Paneer (cottage cheese). Now i wait for the day this dish is made at home.
If you use cottage cheese from market this is a quick recipe. However, you can also make fresh cottage cheese at home – I did a recipe few weeks back here. Cooked with or without vegetables, cottage cheese itself adds a scrumptious flavour to the gravy. Matar Paneer is a vegetarian treat!
- 2 Medium thinly sliced onions
- 3 diced Medium Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- 1 tbsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Dried Corriander
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1/4 kg Peas
- Salt- to taste
- Grounded Red Chillies to taste
Preparing Cottage Cheese
- Slice the cottage cheese into roughly 4 inches by 3 inches slices with 1 inch thickness.
- Fry the slices of cheese in 1 tbsp oil till golden brown on both sides. You can store these fried paneer pieces it in a freezer and use it again.
- Take a flat pot and pour 2 tbsp oil in it. Heat oil to warm temperature. Then add the sliced onions. Cook till onions are light brown. Also add the garlic ginger paste.
- When the ginger garlic has changed its color. Add tomatoes and the dry spices including salt and red chillies. Mix it well. Cook till the oil comes on top, tomatoes have changed their color and mixed well with the onions.
- Now add the peas in the gravy. Add 1 glass of water. Let the gravy cook till peas are soft.
- Now add the sliced fried cheese and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Cover the lid so the cheese flavor is infused in the gravy.
Serve it with boiled rice or roti