Known as Red lobia (Kidney beans) in my family and Rajma daal in my Kashmiri family, this dish is one of our favorite. This Kidney beans recipe is cooked almost once a week. Of all the vegetarians I know, this is one of their favourite dish as well.
When I was living abroad, I didn’t have a pressure cook, so the best option to make this dish was to make it from canned red kidney beans, easily available in all super markets. If you are cooking for two people, this surely cuts the time of cooking. Also, if you are a working woman, this is the easiest way out for a nice dinner! 😉
To make the canned food a little healthy, make sure to drain the liquid, which has preservatives and put the red beans in a sieve under running water
Alternatively, you would need to put red beans in a pressure cooker and it will take 15-30 mins (or more) Good luck!
There are two ways to cook it, one is my childhood favorite. My mom learnt to cook it this way while living in Peshawar. This recipe works well if you want to make Lobia Chaat.
Ingredients: Recipe 2
- 3 onions sliced
- 4 tomatoes sliced
- 4 pieces Garlic (crushed and sliced)
- 1 Tbsp Ginger (thinly sliced)
- Boiled red beans (1/2 kg)
- Add red beans in pressure cooker and cook it for about 30 minutes.
- Once beans are soft, all you need to do is add salt, red chillies, green chillies, garlic and ginger and boiled water about 4 cups.
- Let it cook till the gravy thickens a bit and the beans become extremely soft. Easy eh?
- This version of red beans is eaten best with Yogurt and Phulkeyan (Made out of chick pea flour) with onion, tomato salad (kachoomur in other words:).
- The second version is the most common way i.e. to make red beans with gravy of onions and tomatoes.
- Brown onions in 2 Tbsp oil in a pan. Add the onions and tomatoes in a grinder. When the paste is ready, add it back in the oil and fry it. Add salt, red chillies, ¼ tsp mustard powder, 1 tsp coriander powder. Cook enough to sure the color of the gravy changes to dark reddish brown and oil comes on top of the gravy.
- Add a flavor: If flavor and not health is on your cooking agenda, add 2 tsp of tomato paste. This makes the dish a little tangy.
- Now you can add the boiled red beans in this gravy. Also add garlic and ginger at this stage. Cook till the gravy mixes well with beans. Add almost a litre (4 glasses of) boiled water in the pan.
- Let this gravy boil and boil and boil, till red beans become extremely soft and the gravy thickens a little. Taste the gravy and check for salt and chillies. Spicier is better.
- Tip: Take almost a cup of red beans out of the pan and crush them well. Now mix these crushed beans back into the rest of the beans. Let it mix well for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve it with boiled rice.Im craving for this dish again!