Kabuli Pulao originated from Kabul, Afghanistan but because there is a large number of Afghan refugees residing in Peshawar, Afghan shared their recipe with Pukhtoons and since then they have owned it. Kabuli Pulao is extremely delicious and yet it is an easy recipe to try. I have a special affiliation with the recipe as every Pathan does. It has been part of my family’s dinner table for ages, but now I just recently learned how to make the yummilicious Kabuli pulao.It’s a must on every occasion for me.You too will enjoy it for sure.
- Meat 1kg (Beef or Lamb)
- Rice 1kg
- Carrots 2 cups (Julien Cut)
- Raisins 2 cups
- Almonds 15-20 (Blanched)
- Small cardamom 5-6 (Grounded)
- Cumin 1tbsp (Grounded)
- Sugar 3 tbsp
- Water quater cup
- Stock 1 cup
- Mixed nuts for garnish
- Oil 3 tbsp
- First boil the meat with all the spices and salt as per taste.
- Second boil the Rice.
- When the meat is boiled,add oil in a separate pan and fry the meat for a few seconds then add carrots, raisins and almonds.
- In another pan add water and sugar and let the sugar dissolve
- Finally in a large pot place the boiled rice at the bottom
- Add the meat,vegetables and dry fruits mixture ,and sprinkle cardamom, cumin and the sugar water on the top.
- Leave it for 5 mins on high flame and for 15-20 mins on low flame (an oven can be used too for this purpose).
- Once done dish out and serve.