Kashmiri cuisine has a very diverse range of dishes, which differ in their spice level and style of cooking. On one hand they have dishes like Dahi Yakhni and Gushtaba which are popular for their meaty taste with no red chilli used. On other side it offers you some really spicy dishes like Khata Gosht. This cuisine is even rich with a wide range of pure vegetarian dishes. One of the popular vegetarian dish in Kashmiri cuisine is “Khatay Baingan” (translates in Eng: Sour Brinjal) made from eggplants or “Baingan” in Urdu Language. What makes me love it, is the tanginess and its rich flavour. I prefer to have it with boiled rice. I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.
- 1/2 kg Egg plant / Brinjal (elongated one)
- 2 large or 3 medium sized onions (sliced thinly)
- Garlic ginger paste 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup Tamarind
- Cross slice brinjals from the bottom till top so the top stalk and crown stays on.
- In a large bowl fill water and add 1 tsp turmeric powder.
- Dip the brinjals in turmeric water and let it soak.
- Take 1/2 cup tamarind and soak it in hot water. Before using it throw away the seeds and keep the pulp.
- Take a flat wide mouthed pan
- Add oil in the pan and heat it. Add onions till they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry.
- Add two diced tomatoes and cook well.
- Add salt and red chillies.
- Sprinkle a little water and cook till oil comes up and the gravy is cooked through.
- Add one glass of water and let the gravy simmer at low heat.
- Take out the brinjals from turmeric water and fry them in heated fry pan. Making sure the brinjals don't break. Fry till they get a colour.
- As the brinjals fry, put one by one in the 'masala' i.e. tomatoe-onion gravy. Pick them from the stalk and place carefully in the gravy.
- Don't mix too much and use a flat spoon.
- Cover the pan and let it cook at slow heat for 5 minutes.
- Now add the tamarind paste and cover
- Let it cook on slow heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish it with coriander, sliced green chillies.
- Delicious Khatay Baingan - (Sour Brinjals) are ready. Serve it with boiled rice