With load shedding and temperatures touching 50c mark, the only saviour we have in the house are the drinks made by my mom. One of the favorite is the green mango squash and the other one is what we call Rooh Fursa (a home made Rooh Afza). With these two drinks readily available in our fridge, we surely beat the heat!
- 1 kg green mangoes (locally called ‘ambi’ or ‘kairi’)
- Pulp of 1 yellow mango (ripe) for flavor
- Sugar 2 kg
- 1 pinch yellow food color (You can do without this if unavailable)
- Take a large pot add 4 liters of water. Peel the green mangoes and add them in the water. Boil till the mangoes become soft.
- Let this mixture cool down (you dont want to burn yourself!) and then take out the mangoes.
- Mash the mango pulp and take their seeds out. Blend mango pulp in a blender with left over water from the pot. Add one yellow mango pulp for taste.
- Place the blended mangoes back in the pot and add 2 kg sugar. Let this mixture cook but not more than 15 minutes.
- Add a pinch of yellow food color.
- Let the liquid cool down and then store in clean glass bottles. Green Mango Squash is ready!
- To prepare, add 2-3 tbsp of squash in a serving glass and add cold water. A refreshing glass of squash is ready.