Every summer starts off by me putting up a large pot to make bottles of Rooh Afza for my kids and visitors at home. It has been a tradition for years now. Guests are served this home made version of Rooh Afza. The heat gets so unbearable in Pakistan during June and July that one needs to drink either water or drinks that make you feel refreshed. Made from natural ingredients and no preservatives-this drink helps keep the energy levels up and is safe for health.
- 50 gms Gond Katira- Tragacanth gum (crush it finely)
- 4 litre water
- 1/2 cup rose water
- 1 tsp Roh Khivera
- 1 tsp Roh Afza essence
- Pinch or two of red color
- Soak Goond kateera in 4 litres water in a pot overnight. (atleast 12 hours)
- Now place the pot on heat and cook till the Gond Katira almost dissolves.
- Add more water if needed.
- Now using a washcloth strain the mixture.
- Place the strained mixture back in the pot.
- Add 4 kg sugar in the pot and let it cook till the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add red food colour and mix well.
- Add the essence, roh khevra and rose water.
- Let it cook for 10 more minutes
- At this point, you can taste the drink by putting 1 tablespoon of this mixture in a glass and adding water in it. This will give you an idea of sweetness of the drink. Adjust accordingly.
- Take it off heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Pour the sharbat in clean glass bottles and put them in fridge.
- Since no preservatives are added, its safe to consume within 15-20 days. To be kept in fridge