I have, over the years, overcome the fear of the unknown when it comes to cooking. I can fairly easily try out new ingredients and I am not afraid of failures. I must admit it took a lot of time to be comfortable with not getting the desired result the first time around. I derive inspiration from shows like Master Chef, professional chefs on social media and other sources for trying out new things. If something goes wrong, I can come up with a fix for damage control. It does require thinking on your feet, and I believe it comes with experience.
I feel challenged every Ramazan to create something new for Iftaar time. This time, when I invited a few friends over for Iftaar, I cooked a recipe that was on my mind for a long time – infusing chickpeas with cottage cheese to make kebabs. I ground chickpeas, made cottage cheese at home and combined them with spices. When I tasted the mixture, it was awesome. Instead of making kebabs, I decided to make sandwiches with this thick dip-like mixture. The sandwiches turned out great.
During Iftaar, I was skeptical about whether everyone will like the sandwiches. I knew people will take one because they looked very tempting, but will they go for a second one? I was not too sure. To my surprise, everyone loved them, but they could not tell what the filling was made of.
These sandwiches are very healthy and can be incorporated in a diet plan as well. I’m sharing the recipe with you and hoping that you will include this on your Iftar table and surprise everyone.
- Chickpea – 1 cup, boiled and grinded
- Cottage Cheese – 1 cup
- Spring Onion – 1 or 2, finely chopped
- Green chilies – 1 or 2, finely chopped
- Fresh Coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon or as required
- Black pepper – ¾ teaspoon
- Greek yogurt / hung curd / Cream Cheese – 1 or 2 tablespoons
- In a mixing bowl, add ground chickpea paste. Mix in cottage cheese, spring onion, green chilies, coriander leaves, salt, and black pepper. Mix it well, until everything is well combined. In the end, add cream cheese or Greek yogurt to give a creamy smooth texture to it.
- Spread the prepared mixture on a slice of bread. Cut the sandwiches diagonally with a sharp knife and serve with any dip or ketchup.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: Nil
Serving: 4 -6