Live. Laugh. Love. Cook!
An architect by profession, I have always found cooking to be therapeutic and fun. It is incredibly iterative, just like design; no recipe is sacrosanct – can be bettered, simplified and adapted to evolving palates. The result may well be a failure 🙂 but more often than not the end product will surprise, thrill and make those who have the pleasure of enjoying it, come back for seconds! *a proud moment for any chefling* I learned cooking from my mother, whose careful attention to detail made me learn how to improvise with all the recipes that I try. I cook from whatever is available at home and focus on retaining the individual flavors/ aromas of all the ingredients while creating a perfect blend.
One of my most favorite is the Lemon Chicken recipe which is really simple n easy to make, has this really perfect fusion of sweet & sour and tastes YUM! It goes great with garlic rice.
For garlic rice:
- Take 1.5 cups of rice, boil and drain them with water.
- In a separate wok heat some cooking oil and add 3-4 cloves of crushed garlic along with 3 thinly sliced green chillies.
- Cook till the garlic turns light brown and then add 2 Tablespoons of soya sauce.
- Stir well.
- You can add fresh coriander leaves and cashew nuts or almonds in as well.
- Mix in the rice and let it steam so that all the rice get the aroma & flavor of the ingredients.
For lemon chicken:
- Boneless chicken 1″ cubes, roughly about 2 lbs. (I took about 4 breast fillets and cut them into cubes)
Marinate the chicken for 30 mins in:
- 2 Table Spoon Soya Sauce
- 1.5 Tea spoon Sugar
- 1/2 Tea spoon salt
- 1/2 Tea spoon black pepper
- a little oil
- I mix in some mixed herbs & oregano as well for taste
Make some batter with:
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tea spoon Baking powder
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- Cornflour (takes about 3-4 Table spoons but you have to check the consistency if its very runny then add a little more)
- Mix all the above ingredients well and dip the marinated chicken into it & deep fry in a heated wok of oil till chicken is golden brown. Keep aside.
For the lemon sauce:
- Take 2 Table Spoons of Sugar
- 1 Table Spoon of Soya Sauce
- A little salt (to taste)
- Take 3-4 lemons and cut them into halves & squeeze the juice(shouldn’t be less than 2 Table spoons). Save one half of the lemon and cut it into thin round slices
- Thinly sliced green chillies (2-3)
- Take about 2 cups of water. Bring it to boil & add 2 knorr chicken cubes in it. Keep this aside. (Alternatively you can use chicken yakhni as well)
- Mix the chicken broth with sugar, soya sauce, salt & lemon juice + slices and the green chillies. Let it boil for some time. (if you wanna make it more sour, add more lemon juice or a little vinegar)
- In a separate cup mix 1 Table spoon of Cornflour with a little water.
- Add this to your sauce and keep stirring till the sauce thickens.
- Let it cook for a little while.
- Take the rice in a small bowl and press them a little to take the mould’s shape.
- Invert the bowl in your serving plate.
- Put your fried chicken pieces on top and pour the lemon sauce on top of it.
- Add some roasted almonds on top (optional)
(You can also mix the chicken pieces with the lemon sauce and serve in a big serving bowl, but I prefer to present it this way) 🙂