The feeling of Ramazan arriving is the feeling of eating samosa, pakora and jalebi after a day of fasting and praying. No matter how much you try to convince yourself that this Ramazan you are going to eat healthy, you always end up having fried stuff.
After almost three decades, Ramazan has been falling in summers. Our generation has not witnessed Ramazan in hot weather. Thus, every recipe that I will share with you during the month of Ramazan will mostly be to beat the heat, and will be healthy and tempting at the same time.
The first few rozas are full of cravings for fried food. It is natural though. After all, we associate Ramazan with pakoray and samosay. We generally prepare for Ramazan by making quick snacks and freeze them for iftar. Keeping the tradition alive, I brought samosa and roll patties (sheets) this week for making iftar snacks. A part of me, as always, wanted to create something new this time with roll patties. I had some patties to spare after making enough qeemay walay samosay.
The curious me searched online and found Pizza Parcels, which really tempted me. It was a different take on pizza and I wanted to give it a shot. After all, who does not like Pizza? I was excited about the fusion of pizza and samosa. It was a super hit. My son loved it too.
One thing to consider is that pizza parcels soak a lot of oil while frying. You will be better off frying in an air fryer if you are concerned about too much oil. Alternatively, you can also fry in shallow oil. Frying is essential though, since they will not be crunchy without frying.
Here is the recipe.
- Boneless chicken – 2 breast pieces cut into strips
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Salt + Paprika – ¾ teaspoon
- Corn flour – 1 tablespoon
- Oil -1 tablespoon
For the filling
- Madda Patii (Samosa Pati) – 1 packet or as required
- Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- Capsicum – 1, finely chopped
- Onion – 1 – 2, finely chopped
- Olives – 3 – 4 tablespoons, chopped
- Oregano leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Oil for frying
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Onion 1 medium
- Garlic 2 cloves
- Tomatoes 2 – 3 medium
- Green chili 2- 3
- Red chili powder ¾ teaspoon
- Salt ¾ teaspoon
- Oregano leaves ¾ teaspoon
- Sugar ¾ teaspoon
Marinate chicken with all the mentioned ingredients for 30 minutes. Fry the chicken in 2 – 3 teaspoon oil, let it cook for 6 – 8 minutes and the chicken is ready.
Blend onions, tomatoes, garlic, and green chilies with a dash of water in a blender. In a pan, heat the oil and add the blended puree, cook it for a minute and then add salt, sugar, red pepper powder basil and oregano. Let the mixture simmer on a low medium flame to release all the flavor of the herbs. Cook it until the water is dried from the gravy and oil comes on top. Allow the sauce to cool before using.
- On a clean surface, place two samosa patties in a cross.
- Spread prepared pizza sauce on one (or both)
- Add the filling (chicken, capsicum, onion, olive, and cheese) at the center of the cross
- Fold the patties, starting from the lower pattie first (so that it holds the entire thing together) as shown in the picture.
- Before folding the last leaf, apply some flour mixture (dissolve 2 tablespoons of flour into 2 tablespoons of water to form a paste of flour) to seal the patties into a square parcel.
- In a frying pan, heat oil and fry pizza parcels on medium heat until light golden brown.
- Sprinkle oregano leaves on top and serve hot.
They can be air fried in an air fryer for a more healthier version.