This is my all time favourite dish in Kashmiri Cuisine. I fell in love with the taste when i had it the first day Its a really light and soupy dish and has a flavour that somehow for me resembles the Italian white sauce flavor. Its a rather simple dish as compared to other dishes in Kashmiri Cuisine-making them is surely a pure act of love for food.
Today, while the lights were out, me and mom-in-law sat and wrote down this recipe for you.
This dish is also known as Aab Gosht, the difference is that Aab Gosht is made with milk instead of yogurt. For this dish you would need really good quality lamb ribs meat. The cooking time may vary because of meat quality.
- 1 kg Meat- Lamb Ribs (Seenaye ka gosht) This is same cut used in making Pulao
- 2 Kg Yogurt (You can use packaged Plain Yogurt (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
- 1 garlic (whole)
- 2 onions medium sized (sliced thinly)
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Black Cardamom
- Salt to taste
- Step 1: Clear Soup (6-7 cups)
- Add meat, garlic (whole), salt, dry coriander, fennel seeds in a deep pan.
- Add water, enough to cover the meat.
- Let the water simmer till the soup is ready. Taste soup and check for meat flavor in the soup. Make sure the meat is not completely cooked during this process.
- This step will take 15-20 minutes.
- Separate the meat from the soup and set it aside.
- Sieve the soup and discard remaining ingredients.
- Meanwhile, fry the meat in a small quantity of oil till meat changes it color to brown.
- Note: The cooking time of meat can vary depending on the quality of the meat.
- Step 2: Curry
- In a separate pan, heat about 4 tbsp of oil and add sliced onions.
- Take the onions out of the oil when they turn brown. (The left over oil in the pan can be used in next step)
- Chop these onions finely in a blender and set aside.
- Take yogurt in a bowl and whip it thoroughly (for better results you can also blend it).
- In the left over hot oil, add yogurt slowly into the pan and make sure to stir the yogurt as you add more.
- Keep stirring till the yogurt starts boiling. If you don’t stir, the yogurt can go bad! Stir after every 1-minute and let it cook till the oil comes on top of yogurt.
- Add green and black cardamom and about ½ a tsp of salt.
- Add chopped onions in the yogurt and cook for 10 minutes.
- Now add the fried meat in the yogurt and cook it well till the oil comes up again. Fry enough so the flavours blend together.
- Add the clear soup in the yogurt and meat mixture. Keep mixing till it starts boiling. If you feel the clear soup is less you can add a cup of water too.
- Cover the pan and let it cook on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- When the soup becomes a little thick in consistency, slow the heat further.
- Cook till oil comes on the surface. The dish is ready.
- Serve it with boiled rice. Addiction guaranteed!
Edited Version Published on the Express Tribune http://tribune.com.pk/story/543537/recipe-lamb-ribs-soup-in-yogurt-dahi-yakhni/