A spicy and tangy beef recipe, loved by most of the Kashmiris I know. If you want to try out a different flavor in beef, it is a must try. Can’t wait for mom-in-law to cook again!
- Beef boneless 1/2 kg small cubes (High quality sirloin piece)
- 12 Dried Whole chillies (Laal Mirch Sabut)
- ½ cup Tamarind (Imlee)
- 1 medium Onion
- Ginger Paste 1tsp
- Garlic Paste 1 tsp
- ½ tsp turmeric (haldee) powder
- ½ tsp powdered red chillies
- ½ tsp coriander powder (Sookha Dhaniya)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (White Zeera)
- Garnish- Coriander leaves and Garam Masala
- Marinate whole chilies and tamarind separately in a cup of water each. Wash beef and set aside.
- Put oil in a pan and put the sliced onions. Brown the onions till golden color.
- Put garlic, ginger paste in the pan and fry it. Put beef in the pan and cook it. Add salt , ½ tsp turmeric (haldee) powder ½ tsp powdered red chilies, ½ tsp coriander powder and ½ tsp cumin seeds.
- Cook the beef while putting little water in it (a process known as Bhoonana). Keep mixing it with a spatula.
- When the oil comes up, put one glass of water and let it cook till beef is thoroughly cooked (approximate time 15-20 mins)
- Now put the whole chilies and water in the blender. Do not blend it for too long, just enough to break the chillies and mix it in water. Put this chilies mixture in the beef.
- Let the beef cook more for another 10 minutes.
- Take out the seeds from tamarind and put the left over pulp and water in the beef. Let it cook till only thick gravy is left.
Your dish is ready! Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve it with boiled rice or Naan (bread)