During the dull and chilly winter days, you definitely want something to brighten your day. There are many ways to uplift your moods in winters, the best one though is FOOD, for sure.
I used to find making traditional English cuisine pretty difficult till I hadn’t actually started making any of the dishes. Shepherds pie is one of the classics and an easy dish to make. It is often called a poor man’s dish. Healthy and hearty and perfect for winters. The top crust can be made more cheesy or more crusty, it totally depends on your taste. The old fashioned version has a specialty, it is cooked in beef stew and the sauce inside is also made with beef stew.
- Beef bones 3 pieces
- Garlic 3-4 cloves
- Black pepper whole 7-8
- Beef Mince 1kg
- Peas 200 gms
- Carrots 200 gms cut in cubes
- Spring onion 200 gm
- Garlic paste 2tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper 3tsp or per taste
- Cayenne pepper 1 tsp
- Flour 4 tsp
- Oil ½ cup
- Oregano ¼ tsp
- Thyme ¼ tsp
- Ground allspice 1tsp
- Cumin powder 1tsp
- Soya sauce 3tsp
- Tomato paste 2 tsp
- Bread crumbs for topping
- Potatoes 1kg
- Milk 1 ltr
- Salt to taste
- Cheddar cheese 150 gm
- Black pepper 1tsp
1. Take a pan and fill it with water, add the whole black pepper and cloves and put the bones inside.
2. Let them simmer and cook until the stew comes out. Strain the top murky layer of water and discard it.
3. When the water has reduced to half its original quantity strain the stew and keep it separately.
- Take a deep pan and add the beef mince in it.
- Let the beef cook on low flame, it will release water and cook in its own water.
- When the water dries, add ¼ cup oil and the garlic paste and fry the mince.
- For cooking the mince, add 1 cup stew and let it simmer.
- Separately boil the peas partially.
- After the mince has cooked completely add the carrots, peas and onion.
- Add the seasoning
- When the mince separates from oil it’s cooked.
- Now take a pan add 3tbsp of oil and then the flour
- Cook it a bit and make a paste by adding stew.
- Add this to the beef mince and keep it aside.
1. Boil the potatoes in a pan with 1 tsp salt and water.
2. When they are done, cool them and peel the skin and mash them.
3. If you use a grater to mash them they have a very smooth and creamy consistency.
4. Add milk, cheese, and butter in the potatoes and warm them on low heat on the stove.
1. Pre heat oven to 180’C. take an oven safe dish put a little butter on the base and then add the layer of mince and veggies if it looks a little dry add a little stew on the mince.
2. Add the layer of mashed potatoes. And top it with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
3. Bake it when the top becomes a little brown and the water bubbles at the bottom stop bubbling.