Paneer is one of the best source of healthy, flavoursome and low calorie protein. I had some home-made paneer in fridge (Here is how to make it easily at home) and thought I should make something tasty with it and I made Paneer Butter Masala. This is a quick and easy recipe. Paneer Butter Masla is one of the most famous paneer dishes. Palak Paneer, Paneer Tikka Masla and Paneer Makhani are the other favorites. Paneer butter masala has a perfect combination of sweet rich creaminess with medium spices which makes it an excellent gravy to be served with kulcha or paratha. This is an ideal recipe for dinner or lunch so, do try this paneer butter masala at home. If you are calorie conscious, you can reduce the fat content in the recipe by replacing cream with milk and also by reducing the amount of butter although this would compromise the taste of the authentic recipe. Cashew nuts paste is added in the authentic recipe to add more richness and tinge sweetness to the gravy, but it is optional. My husband loved eating paneer in a gravy and I am sure you will also enjoy and cherish the warmth of this simple yet aromatic dish.
- Paneer – Cottage Cheese- 200 gm cubed
- Oil – ¼ cup
- Whole mix spices – (Green cardamoms(2), black cardamoms(2), badyan ka phool (1), button red chilies(2), cumin (1/2 teaspoon) )
- Onions – finely chopped – 1 medium
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Butter – 2 tablespoon
- Salt – ¾ teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon heaped
- Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- All spice – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Tomatoes – 3 blended
- Green chilies – 4 cut them length wise
- Cream – 4 tablespoon
- Cashew/almond nuts paste – 10 pieces (optional) (I didn’t use any)
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped & Kasuri meethi – 1 teaspoon / each, for garnishing
- Heat oil, add mix spices with chopped onions.
- When onions become translucent, add butter, slit green chilies, salt, ginger garlic paste and let it cook for a while.
- (optional) Add cashew/almond nuts paste and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now add blended tomatoes with chili powder, all spice powder, coriander powder and cook until oil separates from the curry.
- Cut paneer into cubes and slightly grill in a frying pan until golden
- Add grilled paneer cubes and cream in the curry, cook under lid for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle fresh coriander leaves and kasuri methi on top. Cook on dam for 2 minutes and the yummy paneer butter masala is ready to be served with roti or paratha.