I have always been a carb junkie (my weight is proof of that). I never liked coconut milk or cream in my food, let alone in my pasta. Just because of that, I never intended to try Thai food. Khow suey was an awe inspiring discovery for me that changed my opinion about coconut based gravies. Khow suey is a Burmese dish by origin and is a one bowl noodle dish with egg noodles and beef gravy served with a variety of condiments.
Pakistanis have their own variations of Khow suey and we make this version without coconut milk and the curry is yogurt based like the traditional karri.
The condiments of Khow suey can vary as per your taste, boiled potatoes can be replaced by French fries, and walnuts can be added too. Hope you guys enjoy making this simple yet grand recipe.
- Oil ¼ cup
- Potatoes 2-3
- Onion 2 large
- Peanuts 1 cup
- Spring onion 4 bulbs
- Garlic 1 ½ bunch
- Whole Red chillies 2-3 tbsp
- Egg noodles 1 packet
- Beef 1 kg (cut in 1 inch strips)
- Oil ½ cup
- Garlic cloves 4-5
- Tomatoes 4 large
- Ginger garlic paste 1 ½ tsp
- Salt per taste
- Red chilies 1 tsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Coriander 1 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp (should have more salt as coconut milk is sweet)
- Red pepper powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- Curry leaves 4 (break them in small pieces)
- Coconut milk 1 can
- Coconut cream 1 can
- Milk 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Cornmeal flour 2 tbsp
- Water ½ cup
To Prepare Condiments
- Cut potatoes in cubes and boil them in water with salt in it.
- Fry the onion finely sliced in oil and sprinkle a little salt on top while frying. Let it cool down after frying so they turn crispy. *
- Fry the peanuts in 2 tsp of oil until they are roasted. Chop coarsely in a mortar and pestle.
- Cut the spring onion in circles and keep aside.
- Peel the garlic cloves and cut them in rounds. Fry it in a little oil and brown a little. Keep aside.
- Fry all the red chilies in oil and then coarsely chop in a mortar and pestle.
* After all the steps have been done, fry the onions so they remain crispy.
To prepare Meat Gravy
- Boil egg noodles in water with salt and oil and keep aside.
- Boil beef strips in water with garlic cloves.
- Make gravy by frying the garlic paste in oil and add the masalas (spices).
- Then add the tomatoes and fry a little.
- Add water so the tomatoes get soft and turn into gravy.
- After the water has dried, add the beef and fry.
To prepare Coconut Gravy
- Fry the cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a small amount of oil.
- Add all the masalas and fry a little.
- Add coconut milk, coconut cream, milk and water and put on low flame.
- Blend cornmeal flour with water ½ cup and then pour it slowly in the gravy on high flame.
- Serve the pasta separately, with the meat, gravy and condiments in different bowls.